Bring your number to Fongo from another service provider! As soon as you have a Fongo account and a temporary number active with us, you can start a request.
Here’s everything you need to know on how to bring your number over to Fongo.
- There is a $25 (plus tax) fee to port your number.* Before porting, please test the app extensively on Wi-Fi and mobile data to ensure the functionality meets your needs.
- To see a current list of areas where numbers can be ported in from, click here.
- You will require a Data Plan on your mobile device if you wish to use Fongo outside of Wi-Fi areas. Many carriers in Canada provide data-only plans at prices much cheaper than traditional Voice + Text + Data plans. With Fongo Mobile, you do not require the Voice + Text part of the plans.
Fongo will contact your provider and get the number transferred on your behalf. We recommend you don’t contact your provider to inform them of your transfer or cancelling your account with them before the transfer is completed.
If your Fongo Mobile account is more than 7 days old, skip to step 4.
- Download the Fongo Mobile app to your phone
- Create an account in the app and choose your own Fongo number (even though you are porting in your own)
- Within the app, go to Account > Support > Submit a Support Request
- Fill in the fields
- Your Email Address: Enter the email address for your Fongo Account
- Subject: Port-In
- Description: Please unlock the online store
- Issue Type: Fongo Mobile > Online Store Unlock
- Product Type: Phone Number Transfer
- Porting Number: Enter the 11 digit phone number you wish to transfer
- 11 Digit Fongo Number: Enter the 11 digit Fongo number beginning with 1
- If you’re in Canada, the online store will be unlocked within one day of submitting the request. An email will be sent to you once the store is unlocked. *If you’re outside of Canada or if your IP address is wrongfully placing you outside of Canada (which happens occasionally) an email will be sent to you which says your request was denied. In that email, there will be instructions on how to contact support via phone and they will verify your eligibility for the online store
- Fill in the fields
Once the store is unlocked, log in to your Fongo Mobile account on our website
Choose “Online Store”
- In the “Transfer My Number” section, select “$25 One-Time Fee”
Click on the “BUY” button
Enter the following information into the required fields.
*All the information you submit for your number port must match what the other provider has on file
Number type: Landline or Mobile
Number You Want Ported
Account Number (Only for Mobile numbers)
First & Last Name
- Click the “CONTINUE” button
- Enter and submit your payment information
- You will receive an email stating that your transfer request has been initiated
- Keep an eye out for emails from our team regarding your porting status
Fongo is not responsible for failed ports. Below are reasons that port-ins may be rejected:
- Your account with the other provider is not active or is flagged for disconnect
- Customer has outstanding balance owed to current provider
- Porting number must belong to you o
- Customer disconnects or initiates a disconnect for the number before finalizing porting with Fongo
- Customer provides inaccurate information for porting resulting in multiple rejections
- Customer did not authorize the transfer upon the current provider requesting authorization
- Customer initiated porting but then decides to cancel for any reason (i.e. Provider offers better rates, number porting to some other company etc.)
Porting can take up to 7 business days (or longer if there is a rejection). The first business day only counts if the transfer is submitted before 12pm. To see current number transfer time estimates for numbers being ported into Fongo, Click Here.
If You Are Transferring A Mobile Number
This only applies if your current provider is providing you with wireless service (SIM card).
When submitting your port, you will also need to enter the following information:
- account number associated with your mobile number
- This is not the same as the mobile phone number
- your IMEI number (If it is a pay-as-you-go account)
- The IMEI number is required to confirm that you have ownership over the account. The IMEI is usually found printed inside the battery compartment of the phone, but can also be displayed on-screen on most phones by entering *#06# on the dial pad, or alongside other system information in the settings menu on smartphone operating systems
- If your pay-as-you-go carrier does not use an IMEI number but you have an account PIN code, the carrier can also confirm ownership over the account using the PIN code. Enter the PIN code in the IMEI field on the porting form instead
Your current wireless provider may call or text you to authorize the number transfer. Please respond within 30 minutes of receiving that text to authorize the number transfer. Failure to do so may result in a rejection of transfer.
The messages from your current wireless provider are typically sent immediately after they receive the number transfer request or between 10:00am and 12:00pm on the next business day. You may also call your current provider to authorize the number transfer using the numbers below. We recommend asking for a 24-hour authorization, as a minimum.
Wireless Port Out Confirmation Phone Numbers
|Carrier||Authorization Phone Number|
|Bell Aliant Mobility||800-509-9904|
|Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile||Not Required|
|Wireline/Landline Providers||Not Required|
* The number transfer fee is non-refundable if the transfer is completed or the port is rejected for reasons beyond Fongo's control i.e. incorrect information provided, outstanding balance with current provider, breaking a contract with current provider, etc.